7.16.2013

Bloody Witch

Bloody Witch(2013)


I started writing this one about a couple of months ago. I first posted it on wattpad and later on widbook where it became one of the most popular stories. I was asked for an illustration from a member of widbook creators team so that they would put it in their site's homepage. Few days later it was named as the e-book of the week and I was asked for an interview so that it would be put in their site's blog and media. This is my other story on priority for writing and you can understand now the reason...

Description
"I was passing by the church’s yard returning home when the bells rang four in the afternoon.That was the exact time that I was born…and the exact time my life changed, not only because I was becoming an adult, but because a curse was breaking and a miracle was coming back to life…"

At her 18th birthday Sofia finds out that she comes from a strong witch family that has been hiding for ages. At the same day a letter from one of dead her relatives in New York invites her to meet her family's past there.Very soon though she'll discover that Vampires do exist and, just like the Church, they hate and hunt witches...

What will she do when vampires, priests and evil witches are trying to do exactly what her great grandmother was protecting her from?



So, Sofia is a witch and through this book series we will follow her all around the world during her trip to discover her roots, her family's hidden treasures and other girls just like her. Sofia is a Greek teen and we will follow her from Greece to Istanbul and New York, while later she will travel to Prague, Vienna, Milan and Rome, Spain, London and many other amazing places!
 In our story Vampires has a very big role since they exist in our current world and they live hidden between humans. The story will be some kind of funny as our heroine will struggle to not get burned by the Church's (Both Catholic and Orthodox) and not to get killed my the Vampires too! The funny part is the Vampires and Church are at some kind of a war too, so you can imagine what is going to be like, a real hell!
The series will be at least 3 books.



Chapter 1
Happy 18!

Sunday 24th of March 2013, morning, Greece

“Happy birthday!” , I heard my father whisper to my ear while he moved his hands down my blanket to hug me. He kissed my head and then my cheek. “Time to wake up birthday girl”, and with that he moved his hands to my stomach and started tickling me.
“Dad-ha ha… Dad stop!... Ha ha… I-I’m awake stop!” , with that he stopped, pet my head and got up. “Breakfast is ready” , he got out the room and left the door opened to come some light in. I pulled my blanket up my head and wrapped my around my legs close to my chest just like in its mother’s womb. It was so warm under there that I didn’t want to get out. Too bad that I needed to get up. I pushed my blanket and stuffed animals of me and moved of my cozy bed. I moved out of the room and went straight to the living room to meet my parents. My father was wearing his jacket and kissed my mother. Normally no one worked on Sundays, but a beer’s factory needed some machines in order to produce a new kind of beer with lemon and my dad had to work during the whole weekend to make them. He had also to work tomorrow, even though it was a national celebration.
“Bye dad” , moved my hand up to good bye him. “Happy birthday my love! Come here” , he opened her arms for me and hugged me tight, that wasn’t something we did usually, my mum wasn’t the hugging type of a person. “Oh baby… You’ve grown up so much. You are an adult now…” , she continued stroking my back for a little and then she left me. “I’ll warm some milk, will you wake up Maria?” , she asked me while she was walking towards the kitchen with her back facing me. “Ok” , I went back to my bedroom to wake up my little sister.
I climbed the stairs of her bed and leaned up of her head. “Maria wake up!” , I called her name many times and told her to get up but nothing. Geez! How much can that child sleep! She’s always hard to wake up. She doesn’t wake up no matter how much noise you may make! That is why I always ended teasing and tickling her and that’s exactly what I did.
“Mmm…mm…” , I saw her moving and hiding herself under her blanket. “Stop complaining and get up sleepy one! Mum is making breakfast…” , I continued teasing her. “Nooooo… I don’t want to! What time is it?” . I rolled up my eyes. “Eight and a half” , I told her still tickling her. “I won’t wake up! It’s not twelve o’clock!”
“Maria! Get up now!” , her act was starting getting on my nerves. “Nooooo! Why?”, she wined like a cranky cat. “Because mum said so! Now get up!” , I tried to pull her out of bed.
“Maria! Get up now! You have to study for your English lessons!” , I heard my mother shouting from the kitchen. “Mmm… Why! I wanna sleep…”
“Maria get up! You’ve been sleeping since ten and thirty while all of us we have sleep only for a few hours. Get up! Milk is ready!”
“Ooh! Why you never let me sleep!” , and with that she got up and went straight to the bathroom. That kid never stops complaining about sleeping. I got down her bed and went to the kitchen to eat my breakfast.
Soon Maria came to eat her own. After finishing it I went to change to my clothes and got out to buy a newspaper. Then I went back home and helped my mum to clean up the house. Tonight the whole family, my mother’s sisters and parents and my dad’s parents, would come to see me blow my 18th candles. After cleaning up the whole house, we ate lunch and I study a little bit for my school and my Physics lessons. As student we don’t have only to go to school during morning but to do also some extra lessons in private Education Organizations for some of our school lessons or for a foreign language in order to give for a language certificate. We all had to have lower in English or upper and some other in a second language such as French or German.
Somewhere around three and a half I had to get out to buy some things my mum needed for the night. We were living next to our town’s main church and every hour during the day time only the bells were singing to remind us what time is it. I was passing by the church’s yard returning home when the bells rang four in the afternoon. That was the exact time that I was born…and the exact time my life changed, not only because I was becoming an adult, but because a curse was breaking and a miracle was coming back to life…






Chapter 2
Bloody 18!


Sunday 24th of March 2013, afternoon, Greece
I heard the bells singing the rhythm of four o’clock they used everyday, but it wasn’t a sing to me this time. The exact moment the bells started their happy rhythm I felt my whole body going numb and then an uncontrollable rush of pain took over my body. The shopping bags fell of my arms and I fell on my knees wrapping my hands around my body panting. I felt my whole body on fire and my vision was starting blurring.
I looked up at the red cross in the church’s roof to pray to God for help. Indeed, I found it sparking and throwing red sparkles that were dancing in the air till they meet the ground. Soon there were so many scattered on the ground that it seem like it was on fire. I looked up in the sky to found it dark, with many black clouds cycling the place up of me. There was sun everywhere except for the church where the dark clouds were creating a cyclone eye. The wind got worse and the trees around my started moving violently by its force.
Back to me, the pain didn’t stop, on the contrary it got worse and I started hallucinating. I started watching blood everywhere around me. I saw blood running down the church’s stairs or from the trees, I saw the blood moving towards me while I felt blood coming of me too. Blood was running from my eyes down my face, my hands and my legs too were covered in blood while the other around hadn’t even touch me. I felt my neck burning and my heart was beating so fast that it hurt. I saw the blood that was coming towards me to get up and start its death dance around me so much grace. Like a miracle taken from the fairy tales where the forest fairies could make the water dance around them in different shapes and forms just like that it dance all around me, cycling me, covering me and eating me. That’s when I felt like something inside me broke in thousand little pieces, and soon, the darkness possessed me…



I woke in the sound of my name being called many times. I opened my eyes to find my mum next to me trying to touch while the policemen were dragging her away. I saw my little sister sitting in a corner away from everyone with her legs up her chest, hands wrapped around them and her head leaned between them. There were more policemen around me checking the whole place but no one seemed to notice that I was now awake. I tried to get up but ended as a failure. A policeman close to me though notice my little attempt and ran to me shouting to the others. My mum stopped struggle to get free from the policemen’s grip and they let her go with clear shock on their faces. My mother rushed over me and took me in her arms. There was panic everywhere, people running up and down shouting. I saw Maria’s face moving up meeting my sight, she unfolded herself and tried to move towards me. I felt my mother’s breath on my neck and something water like to fall on my skin while I felt myself being stroked.  
 More cries. More shouts. More panic.
After some time an ambulance came and took me to the nearest emergency hospital. Time passed with exams, check ups and crazy doctors running all over the hallway. Shouting, cursing, swearing.  Panic and craziness everywhere. The funny part is that I never understood the whole thing. I never got why everyone acted like that. I was fine. Totally fine. Well, I was a little bit of tired but after that there was nothing else. 
I had no scars, no injuries, no broken bones, and I was not raped. The policemen were scratching their heads all the time not understanding. They couldn't believe how I had nothing while they had found me in a massive pool of blood. They assured the doctors that I was almost dead back there. Both of them, doctors and policemen, were fighting all the time on what was really going on. I wish I could explain to them too, but I had no idea too. What could I tell them? That I saw blood dancing everywhere?
The worst part is that my whole family was here. Perfect! I just destroyed my eighteenth birthday! I just destroyed their happiness! They have been waited for this moment for a long time ago...
It hurt me deep to see them like that. Worried, afraid, terrified, angry and most of all, lost. They couldn't believe that something like that. Just like every family they were praying and fear for the family's children not get attacked ever in their life. Their fear came true, even though it wasn't really true, well, because I wasn't attacked at all.
After some hours, very long and non-peacefully hours, everything got a little quiet and finally I could get some rest. This whole madness drove me crazy. I was lost in my thoughts without noticing what my relatives were doing. I was thinking about all that happened. The red cross, the pain and all that blood, god, no one would ever believe me if I talked about all that. I couldn't get what was all those...weird things that happened back there.
I felt some movement close to me and I flinch a little. "Shh... It's okay sweetie, it's me, daddy", with all that thinking I had forgot about my dad. He had come from his work the moment my mother called him from the hospital. He had dropped whatever they were doing in his job and came immediately. Hell, he have even fight with the doctors and the policemen. I think that he might even punch some of them. I was glad they didn't arrest him for that.
He moved and sit on the bed next to me. My mother came and sat next to me from the other site, making me feel like a sandwich. She started touching my hair and giving me sweet kisses on my forehead. After a while I felt me father moving his weight  and then his hand went to his back pocket. He then brought his hand forward and tended it to me. There was an old yellow brown envelope in his palm. I looked at him with question.
"It's yours. I found it in our post box when I passed from our house to take some things your mother told me to. It's for you", I tended my hand and took the envelope. Everyone in the room, even the doctors and the policemen that were on the door's frame, moved closer to me looking at it with wonder. I felt something heavy on my legs and found Maria sitting next to them facing me and the envelope with fear and scruple.
I looked at all of them and gulped. That was feeling so weird, what did they thought it was? A bomb?
I moved my gaze back to the envelope. I read the dates that was written on it. It said that it was given to the Hellenic Post Office on 23rd of September on 2000, that's almost thirteen years back. There wasn't any name for the one who post, it said only that it came from the U.S.A.. There was also my name and a note that the letter must be given to me on 24th of March of 2013.
I tried to open the envelope but ended ripping it in the back. Damn, that glue was hard for sure! I pushed my hand inside and took out two pieces of paper. The one was folded in the middle while the other seemed to be something like a ticket. I look at it better and indeed it was a real air ticket. It wrote Turkish Airways Tickets. There wasn't any date written on the flight information box, it was blank with a small black star which lead you to a note that said this ticket was bound to be used whenever the user wanted to.
My head started hurting as more questions started popping in my head. Who sent me that? Why from America? And why should I go to Turkey? 
I decided that there must be some king of an answer in the folded piece of paper. It was yellow, probably from the amount of time that has passed. I unfolded it and move it closer to me not wanting anyone else to read it before me.
If you want answers then you should follow my leads.
Under that there were some instructions on where I should go and what to do. I would fly to Constantinople, also known as Istanbul. It told me in what hotel I should stay and some other things. It wrote also that I had to go to Çatalca, a city and a rural district close to Istanbul, and that was because this small city was exactly the place that my grandmother's family was chased away from...


Chapter 3
Bulletproof Trip?

1st of May, 2013, Istanbul

I placed my hands on the balcony’s metal bar while I was breathing in the magnificent night view of the city. All the lights of the high skyscrapers created a very ethereal feeling; it remind me of some night photos I’d seen from New Work, Shanghai  or Miami. This was so not Miami though. This place was made out of futuristic stories, making it look like a sci-fi movie. A place where technology and luxury meets poverty and misery. Half of the city built with amazing skyscrapers, woman who wear whatever they want, everything just like a European or American everyday life city. Half f it stuck yet back in time with old Byzantium buildings, women who did not even got out of their houses and awful life conditions. The whole country was like this, some towns looking like what is normal for us, the citizens of the ‘evolutionary world’, and some others competing the ones in Africa or other ‘poor and no evolutionary countries’.  They say that only those cities who belong to the European Turkey are the ones who have changed into a more present way, the ones which look like today’s world.
I couldn’t believe that I had finally persuaded my parents to let me come here. We had fight so much over this subject the last two months. At first they didn’t want to let me come at all, then they wanted to come with me. Sometimes their over-protectiveness was getting on my nerves. I was eighteen years old and I had never went to a club or stay out ‘too’ late, some things that were common in most teenagers in Greece. The only time that I went to a club was in one of our school dances few months before I turn eighteen and I could stay only till twelve o’clock and they were the ones who dropped me and took me later. I was a really shame of a Greek teenager….
Of course they read the letter too. They didn’t like what it wrote and they had no idea of what everything meant. In the end we agreed on me coming here just for a couple of nights and then go back before Easter’s night. I had flown here tonight; I would visit Çatalca tomorrow and the morning after I would fly back to Thessaloniki. I would be back two days before Easter, just in time.
I breathed out heavily and moved my gaze up in the sky looking for the night’s most beautiful lights. I was searching for the stars but I couldn’t find any of them. What a shame. I missed my county’s sky immediately. You could always watch the stars in the night sky no matter where you were; you could see them even in Athens, something weird because of the whole air pollution but then again, it’s Greece, a lot of wonderfully weird things can happen.
I moved my gaze back down and turned around to go back to my room. I shut the French doors and moved around in the room opening bags and looking for those that I was going to need now and tomorrow. After a while when I had prepared everything I moved to the bed, I placed the letter on the nightstand and made myself comfortable. Even though the flight was really short I was feeling tired from all the things that had happened lately. Even the thought of what I might meet tomorrow made me feel tired. I tried to empty my head and relax. Something was telling me that tomorrow was going to be one hell of a day.






I stepped out of the taxi and watch the place all around me. This part of the town was composed by half-demolished old houses from 1922 or before. I paid the taxi driver and moved around the old square. Few meters away I heard the taxi driver shouting at me “Maria, more money” in Greek. I rolled y eyes and kept moving forward. Yes, people from Turkey know some Greek too, usually those who have to attract tourists and in towns that are close to Greece. They might not know perfect Greek but they are enough if you want to communicate with them. They also have the bad habit of calling every Greek girl ‘Maria’, not all Greek women are called Maria, only forty five to fifty percent!
This one was trying to tell me that I had not paid him enough money, something that was not true since I had paid him a little bit more than his taxi meter taximeter had shown. Don’t get me wrong, not all Turkish people are like him, heck even in Greece some taxi drivers steal money like that from the poor naive tourists. I moved between the abandoned small roads. I was looking for my great-grandmother family’s house, an old two story old building. Back then having a big two story house was something that only the rich or fine economical people could have. And from what my grandmother told me it was some kind of new because it was built a little before our family had to leave forcefully.
In 1920-1922 there was some kind of an agreement between Greece and Turkey of population exchange. All the Turkish must leave from Greece and all the Greeks except from the ones in Istanbul had to leave from Turkey. It was a real period of chaos. Thousands or even millions of immigrants moving from place to place to reach their home country which couldn’t accept them at all from all the war that was happening before. And not only that. Many Greek people were usually chased and dragged out of their houses in Turkey. Many of them were killed during their long trip to Greece. They had no belongings or food with them since they were allowed to take only what they could keep in their own hands. My great-grandmother’s father took only his shoe-maker machine since he was a Shoe merchant. Oh yeah, they were dark times. And unfortunately it weren’t the only ones.
I turned and reached to an old building. I knew that some years ago my grandmother’s sister and sister-in-law came and visited it. They said that there was an old Turkish living here now. He seemed to be a family’s friend since he was always asking them how the family was and if everything was fine with my great-grandmother’s father. After the exchange many Turkish people tried to take care of the houses to keep them in good shape for the children of the Greeks that left hopping that one day they’ll be back. Some of them even kept in secret many golden belongings that belonged to the Greek families and tried to stop the army when they tried to destroy the houses and steal everything. They even took care of many Greek young children because their families were afraid that they couldn’t be able to survive. The Turkish was really kind people, their government and army was the problem.
I stepped closer to the house. I was not sure if I should get inside or not. I didn’t know what to say. I started moving around it watching the windows for any sign of life in it. As made a whole circle and went back to the front part of the house I heard someone talking to me in Turkish. I turned and found an old man sitting in a chair in front of the house’s door. I stopped and looked at him. I didn’t remember him sitting there before.
He was a little bit fat with a big grey moustache and smoking. He talked to me again but I had no idea what he was telling. Then I show him sighed and motioned for me to get closer. “Come my girl”, I heard him say in Greek. I walked to him. I passed through the small wooden door in the garden and close it behind me just like it was before. I stepped closer to him as I watched him watching me.
“Are you from Greece my girl?”, he asked me in Greek again. “Yes sir…”, I applied trying to seem as more polite as I could. “Are you from Joseph’s family?”, he asked me again leaning towards me. “I am his daughter’s, Fotini, great-granddaughter”, I gulped and answered. I saw him smile at my response, a really heart warming smile. “Good, I’ve been waiting almost eighty years for you”, he stand up and moved inside the house. “Don’t sit there honey, come, come”, he turned and called motioning with his hand for me.
I stepped inside the house. I felt the wooden floor whined in my weight as I moved following him. The house was utterly amazing. I felt like I stepped back in time. The only things reminding me of the reality was a 90’s TV set and some other cables on the floor. “I’ve been guarding them all those years for you to come and take them”, I saw him moving away from a wooden chest and coming closer to me. He leaned forward and offered it to me. A package. A very weird package.
It seemed to be square like and it was wrapped with many white pieces of cloth. I took it in my hands, his weight making me gasp in surprise. I looked up at the old man’s eyes. They were shinning in happiness for a reason that I couldn’t understand. “Um…what…” I looked at the package and at him again not knowing what to do. He shook his head to me in motion that told me to open it. I gulped and looked the package. I moved its whole weight on my left hand and tried to open it with my right. I unfolded the cloths, cut them and unwrapped them carefully.
Soon I came face to face with a book. A really big book. It reminded me of the Evangel (Gospel) Book that they use in the orthodox Christian ceremonies. Its cover’s gold surface was decorated with red jewels and some weird floral designs. I didn’t mind them much; this wasn’t the time to check on them in detail, I could do it later in the safe of my room till the time for me to fly back. I moved my gaze to something else. There was a smaller one package there too.
I looked at the old man. He moved his head to go ahead. I reached a small coffee table close to me and placed the whole package there. I leaned and took the small one in my hands and started unwrapping it. As I was taking of and the last piece of cloth all around it I found myself keeping a big cross in my hand. It was all made by scarlet, almost blood like, jewels and some silver. There was a long silver chain in there too. I took a better look in the cross.
Some of the jewels were bigger than the others and the biggest of them was placed in the center of it. It seemed so weird. It was just an object, nothing mush, just a big weird cross but I would swear that there was something else too. It felt like it was alive… So cold and yet warm enough. I concentrated most on the jewels. They really did seemed like they were made by blood…
“Well… I would love you to stay but you better get going. It’s going to rain soon and if I was you I would like to be in my warm room being surrounded by my own things”, he moved closer to me placing his hand on my shoulder. I leaned and took the book. I went to place the cross in it and cover it again but he stopped me. “You better wear that on your neck. It belongs to you now. I am sorry I can’t explain anything but believe me it’s for the best of both of us”. I looked at him in the eyes looking for all that he was hiding from me.
He knew more but for some reason he didn’t tell me and that was for sure. His eyes were betraying him but they showed also care. I decide to let it go. I wore the cross wrapping many time its chain around my neck. I took the book, wrapped the cloths around it again and started moving to the door. Once we were out he stopped me and turned to face him. “I am really sorry for not helping you mare. Those were my instructions though.” I looked at him with question. “Instructions?”.
I saw a smile appearing under  his big moustache. “Your great-grandmother’s father. Believe me, I do know some more things, mostly about him and his family, your family, but they are nothing in front of what you might learn from that book. From your whole journey in this world. I do know some things but they are not enough to help you as much I would love to”, he patted my shoulder smiling with understanding. I kept looking at him with question pleading him to tell me more, even the little few things he knew.
“What is your name my daughter?”, he asked me politely. “Sofia”, I answered in a hoarse voice. “Good. A good name for a smart girl. It comes from God’s knowledge. Very suitable. Now, Sofia, listen to me. No matter what happens you must not anyone but your family and try to keep all of your friends close. There are going to be many people, lots of people trying to kill you or take what you’ll find away. Don’t let them do that and don’t even hesitate to kill if it needs. You are a fighter, I know that. This is not some joke. It’s truth. It’s life. Unfortunately you come from a very good and powerful family that everyone was trying to get rid of since ancient times. And they almost managed it in the past. Don’t let them do that. You have to go now. God bless you and I bless you. Go before- Agh!” he shouted in pain as he got shot many time in his chest.
I dropped to the floor bringing one of my hands close to my head trying to protect myself from all the stray bullets while holding with the other the package close to my heart. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I turned my face to look at the old man. I saw his mouth moving while his soul was leaving his poor body. “T-the b-back door! N-now please! R-run! D-don’t look back!”.
I nodded with tears threatening to fall of my eyes and get up. I kept my body leaned down while I ran in the house. I crossed the old living room and head to what it seemed to be the kitchen. I felt the old wooden floor whining in protest while I kept being surrounded by unknown bullets flying everywhere. I opened the small wooden door and got in the back yard. I sprinted and jumped the half ruined wooden fence. I felt presences behind but didn’t look back. I kept running in the dark alleys not looking to my family’s old house being destroyed…


Or you can comment below and let me know if you want some more.

I have write only 3 chapters till now, chapter 4 will be coming soon.
I would love to read what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Hoo, boy! That's hilarious! Your maltreatment of feoreign cultures and world history is even worse than your terrible English! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your maltreatment on word spelling and opinion expressing is even worse than your already awful comment! ^.^

      To tell you the truth, I was going to be polite with you, but since you are not then I am going to use what a friend of mine suggested for your condition!

      "1st of: Next time you comment have the balls to do it with your full username (and not anonymously) so I can go on your blog, read your work and spill my cholic acid for no apparent reason
      2nd: I'm guessing that you're one of those people who think they are oh-so literate, if that's the case I have two questions: How logical do you find it: Looking for once in a century literary pieces in blogs? And do you realise you are criticising the work of a teenager, who doesn't have English as her mother tongue and is doing her very first steps in writing?"

      And just so you know, I don't write something unless I have made some research. I've been in Turkey (hell I live next to it! It takes my only three hours to be there by car) and all the historic details I am explaining are part of my family's, my country's and the whole world's history, so it seems that I know a few things better...
      If your education lacks it's not my problem.


      (note: this comment is going to be deleted soon, I hope you'll have grown a pair of balls till then!)

      Delete